Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Here it Goes

To give you some context, I am in post-production on my first feature-length movie south loop. That project was born out of years worth of frustration trying to get projects financed through the old equity ways. Finally, a friend and I threw together some (ie very little) money and shot the movie in the summer of '08. Once the movie is done we plan to self-distribute, or employ hybrid distribution as coined by Peter Broderick.

I am also developing my next feature project, You've Been Great, and the plan is go into production this summer with a similar distribution plan as south loop.

And as I've worked on these projects I have found myself wanting to hear from filmmakers going through a similar process. There are some interviews and blogs out there that satisfy my needs on one level or another but the deeper thirst for information is still there.

That leads me to this blog. With "Take 58" I aim to be that filmmaker that shares as much about the process as I legally can. Many of the posts here will detail the nuts and bolts of my projects (for clarification, I write, direct and produce my projects with producing partners). I will also try to point you to other resources (films, filmmakers, articles, etc.) whenever relevant.

To clarify even further, I work in what's often referred to as "micro-budget" filmmaking. I'm not the biggest fan of that term nor the overall ghetto-ization of films of this size. I don't have a better to term to offer at this time but I know "micro-budget" isn't the right one.

Anyway, I'll try to keep future posts from being as dry as this and maybe that's where you can help. I'd love to hear back from anybody with something constructive to add to the discussion (and I'm always willing to take a question).

Independent filmmaking is at a turning point. The way we make and deliver our movies is changing more than at any point in the history of cinema. So, if anyone tells you he/she knows exactly what the future is he/she is full of shit. I don't exactly know anything, but with this blog I will share all I can to help other filmmakers navigates these uncharted waters.

Thanks for reading,
John Rangel

No comments:

Post a Comment